- Inclusion and Diversity Committee Chair
- Research area(s): Mechanisms of Thermal Adaption in Insects
Ph.D., Life Sciences - Entomology, University François Rabelais, Tours, France, 2012
M.Sc., Insect Science, University François Rabelais, Tours, France, 2009
B.Sc., Integrative & Evolutive Biology, University François Rabelais, Tours, France, 2007
- August 2020 – Present: Assistant Professor
- October 2017 – August 2020: Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA
- August 2014 – September 2017: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
My lab focuses on studying the effects of temperature, and by extension climate change on:
(1) the physiology and behavior of disease vector insects,
(2) the vector-host-pathogen interactions and
(3) the disease vector insects’ ability to invade new areas
We rely on a multidisciplinary and integrative approach, combining genetics, behavioral analyses, field observations and we work with different mosquito species along with kissing bugs and tsetse flies.
The results from these projects will help to get a better understanding of disease vector insects’ biology, physiology and neuroethology and will lay the groundwork for the development of new control tools targeting their thermo-sensory system.
Vinauger C.*, C. Lahondère*, G.H. Wolf, L.T. Locke, J.E. Liaw, J.Z. Parrish, O.S. Akbari, M.H. Dickinson and J.A. Riffell. Dopamine modulation of host learning in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes (*: co first authorship). Accepted, Current Biology.
Lahondère C., Insausti T., Paim RMM, Luan X., Belev G., Pereira MH., Ianowski J.P. and C.R. Lazzari (2017). Countercurrent heat exchange and thermoregulation during blood-feeding in kissing bugs. eLife. 2017; 6:e26107.
Lutz E.K, Lahondère C., Vinauger, C. and J.A. Riffell (2017). Olfactory learning and chemical ecology of olfaction in disease vector mosquitoes: A life history perspective. Current Opinion in Insect Science. 20:75-83.
Vinauger C., Lahondère C., Anna Cohuet, C.R. Lazzari and Jeffrey A. Riffell (2016). Learning and memory in disease vector insects. Trends in Parasitology. 32(10):761–771.
Lahondère C. and C.R. Lazzari (2015). Thermal effect of blood feeding in the telmophagous fly Glossina morsitans morsitans. Journal of Thermal Biology. 48:45-50. doi: 10.1016/j.jtherbio.2014.12.009.
Lahondère C. and C.R. Lazzari (2012). Mosquitoes cool down during blood feeding to avoid overheating, Current Biology, 22(1): 40-45, doi:10.1016/j.cub.2011.11.029.
Lahondère C. and C.R. Lazzari (2013). Thermal stress and thermoregulation in Anopheles mosquitoes - New insights into malaria vectors, ed. Sylvie Manguin. ISBN 980-953-307-550-6.