Application to our program is done electronically. Instructions and forms for applying on line are available at the Applying to the Virginia Tech Graduate School web site. Applications should be completed by Jan. 15 for fall semester admission.
Students who are most successful in our program have earned a bachelors degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, and have completed the following course work:
- at least one year of biology
- at least one semester of biochemistry
- at least one year of organic chemistry
Applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions concerning specific requirements, please contact the Department of Biochemistry.
A complete application includes the following:
- On-line application for admission.
- Three letters of recommendation. Names and e-mail addresses of the individuals providing letters should be included with the online application to facilitate electronic submission and review of the letters.
- Official transcripts from all institutions previously and presently attended. To expedite review, official transcripts should be sent directly to:
Department of Biochemistry
111 Engel Hall
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg , VA 24061
- Test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and, if applicable, from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A GRE subject test is not required. All international students who did not receive their baccalaureate degree from an Anglophone university must submit current TOEFL scores. GRE and TOEFL scores should be reported on the application form. In addition, ETS must send the official scores to Virginia Tech (ETS Institution code 5859).
Although interviews are not required for admission, we welcome and will help to coordinate visits from interested applicants.