To apply to our Ph.D. Program, you need to submit an application electronically. Instructions and forms for applying online are available here. Students who are most successful in our Ph.D. program have earned a Bachelor's degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, and have completed the following course work:
- at least one year of biology
- at least one semester of biochemistry
- at least one year of organic chemistry
Applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions concerning specific requirements, please contact the Department of Biochemistry.
A complete application includes the following:
- Online application for admission.
- Three letters of recommendation. Names and e-mail addresses of the individuals providing letters should be included with the online application to facilitate electronic submission and review of the letters.
- Official transcripts from all institutions previously and presently attended. To expedite review, official transcripts should be sent directly to:
Department of Biochemistry
111 Engel Hall
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
International students must also submit TOEFL scores. TOEFL score of 577 or higher (233 on the computer-based test, 90 on the internet-based test) are desirable.
GRE SCORES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED TO APPLY.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Around 70 applicants will apply annually. Out of those 70 applicants, 10% are accepted and 50-80% of those accepted enroll in our program.
January 15 for fall admissions. Applications for spring admissions are accepted only under exceptional circumstances. Admissions decisions are made in March following an in-person or phone interview (for international students) process.
Yes. A $75 non-refundable application fee is due upon submission. The Department of Biochemistry offers a Graduate Program Application Fee Waier for eligible prospective students. The list of criteria can be found here.